I’m officially “Awestruct”:http://www.awestruct.org! with this launch of my new blog. My old “blogger.com blog”:http://blog.bleathem.ca will soon redirect here, as I have ported over all the content. Thanks blogger.com for keeping the data Open by providing a data export API! It has me leaving your great service with a nothing but positive experience.
- the comment system of this new blog (driven by “Disqus”:http://www.disqus.com)
- the “twitter”:http://www.twitter.com/brianleathem feed in the side panel
Other content areas that seem to be dynamic (eg. requiring a database back end) are in fact static. Things like a tag cloud and blog archive are really only dynamic at the time you publish your material. There is no need to query a database with every page render - simply build up an index whenever a page is published. And this is just a simple blog!
I encourage you to take the time to explore the “Arquillian”:http://www.arquillian.org website, which is truly a great example of what can be done with static HTML and harvesting dynamic data at publish time, and engaging the project community to contribute content to the site. I look forward to seeing what similar goals we can accomplish with the “RichFaces”:http://www.richfaces.org website as we port it to being built with Awestruct.
Switching over to awestruct has given me a great chance to explore some new technologies:
- I wrote some Ruby to “parse the blogger XML dump”:https://github.com/bleathem/bleathem.ca/blob/master/_tools/convert/convert.rb (Warning: it’s my first stab at Ruby, and it’s ugly code!).
- I built the page templates with HAML
- The site is styled with Bootstrap.
- Blog posts themselves are authored in Textile.
There’s nothing like trying something new to expose pre-conceptions you didn’t even know you had. I look forward to seeing how I can take the lessons I’ve learnt, and fold them in to make the JSF web development experience better.
Lastly, a word on the tools used to manage this blog. With this new setup:
- I author my content in my favourite plain text editor (Emacs!)
- push content to github.
- publish with a simple rsync.
Finally I get to leverage the tools I use everyday and am intimately familiar with to create content and share my ideas. Hopefully this gets me bogging more frequently - that’s the plan at least!
Share this post